Saturday, May 23, 2015

Our Guide to Juneau - Downtown

We're doing a short little series on our favorite places here in Juneau! So many times up at the tram, we are asked where the locals go, or where the prettiest spots are. 
Well, here are your questions answered! Our favorite places to go to, and the places we think you've just gotta see while you're here!

---------------------------------------------------------

Now that the summer is here, downtown is packed with tourists hoping to see the sights, and all the shops that were closed for the winter have opened their doors!



We thought we would share our top six places to hang out or go shopping downtown. Since this is where the cruise ships dock, it's likely the first piece of Juneau you'll see, and what a pretty place to start off too!

No trip to downtown would be complete without a visit at the Mount Roberts Tramway!

Yes, we are a bit biased since we play up at the top of the mountain regularly throughout the summer, but views up at the top of the mountain cannot be beat (especially if you're not a hiker!)
With the Timberline Bar and Grill and the Raven Eagle Gift shop, the tramway is a complete package!

Across the road from the Mount Roberts Tramway, is one of my personal favorite places to shop: Trove. 
Just like the name, this spot is a treasure trove of fun and unique things. 

From art to trinkets, this store has everything sparkly and pretty! Abigail and I love going in just to look around. 

On my last visit, I found these adorable miniatures, perfect for Melissa's doll house! Sadly, we didn't bring them home with us, but maybe next time!







Last Christmas, I spoiled myself by picking out a few of their beautiful Christmas ornaments for Quinn and I's first tree. Don't worry! They have their Christmas ornaments all year round (so you can get some even during the summer tourist season!).

Okay...now on to everyone's favorite thing: fudge!



I know, I know. I'm simply torturing you with this picture. 

But wait, there's more!


These tantalizing and yummy pictures (that I myself want to eat right off of the screen) are from our favorite sweet spot downtown: The Alaska Fudge Co. 

Besides fudge, they make their own chocolates as well! They also sell ice-cream and (my personal favorite) homemade caramel popcorn! 

(Yes, I may have given in to temptation and gotten a bag while I was there...)

And to answer your question: YES. They wrap up your fudge and sweets all nice and neat so you can bring them back home (if your will is made of iron, that is. Otherwise you'll eat it all in less time then it took to buy it. We always do.).

Next up is our favorite and the most adorable little Post Office ever! 

Named Kindred Post, this cute little post office is big on amazing; not only can you mail those postcards...

...you can buy artwork and housewares from creative people here in Juneau. They have a wonderful collection of cards for all occasions, and I have repeatedly told Quinn that I want to buy one of everything. 


Yep, I'd like one of everything please!

Next up on the tour of our favorite places downtown, Quinn's favorite spot to shop (and spend hours and hours).


If you like comics or graphic novels (or eccentric artwork) this is the place for you! The Alaska Robotics Gallery has everything from shirts and art supplies to your favorite comic books. I'm sure Quinn would spend a whole paycheck here if he could (I know my brother Henry has done it before).

For Folk Fest week, Quinn and I practiced after hours in here with our friend Marian Call. It was sometimes hard to pay attention when every wall was lined with interesting looking reads...


And finally, last (but certainly not least in our books) is our favorite place to grab lunch:


The Alaskan Crepe Escape is a small booth on the side of main street. Don't worry, you can't miss it. The yummy smells will draw you right in!

When I first told Quinn that I wanted to write a blog post on our favorite places downtown he instantly said "Do we get to eat crepes?! You know...for the blog post." 

Yes! Of COURSE we needed to get crepes! Sadly, Quinn is currently on a no-sugar diet (I'm so proud of him!) so he got a natural fruit smoothie, and I got the Sugar & Spice crepe.  

And let me tell you, it was yummy!

---------------------------------------------------------

We hope you enjoyed this insider look into downtown Juneau! We certainly had a lot of fun showing you the sights and our favorite places. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! We love to hear from you, by email or commenting. So please drop us a note!