Monday, June 22, 2015

Only Fools Run at Midnight

Every summer in Juneau, locals stay up extra extra late one night to participate in what is known as 'Only Fools Run at Midnight.' The race (which is broken up into really two races of either a 1 mile or a 5k) is a fundraiser put together by an organization called SAIL (Southeast Alaska Independent Living), which strives to help elders and people with disabilities live a more independent lifestyle. 



This last weekend Quinn, Abigail and I participated! But I haven't even told you the best part, yet...everyone who runs the race dresses up!



Yes indeed! All the participants of the race dress up crazy and prizes are given to the best costumes. 

Our idea came from my sister Bethany and I thinking about how we could include Abby's mermaid tail (because it's a real show-stopper!). In the end we decided to stick with something Alaskan - a mermaid who didn't want her fish friends getting eaten (with Quinn and I being Alaskan fisherman against farmed fisheries). 

Here we are in all our fishy-glory!

I wore Paul's neon yellow water-proof suit that he uses when going out in the boat. Quinn wore his fishing coat and hat, and of course lovely Abigail was our beautiful mermaid!

Everyone who saw us loved our idea, and no one could help but notice Abby!


Some of my family also participated in the fun! My mother dressed in red and wore a silly crab hat. She hung a sign around her neck that read "Kiss the crabby" and handed out chocolate kisses to everyone! 

When I was little, she kept a wind-up toy crab in a kitchen cabinet and when I (or another one of my siblings) was grumpy, she would pull it out and wind it up and say "Kiss the crabby!" 

I don't think she ever gave me chocolate for being crabby though...haha!




My brother Wesley, my sister Valerie, and their friend Nancy were with us as well! My mom came up with their idea: Alaskan versions of Adam and Eve (wrapped up in giant leaves of skunk cabbage - so named for the smell of skunk the plants have) with Valerie as a snake! 





Oh no Quinn! 

Don't do it!







I'm sorry to say that none of us won anything in the costume contest, but we all had a lot of fun!





Abigail had the best time out of all of us though, she didn't even have to run the race! 



Quinn and I pulled her the whole way on Melissa's garden cart (which we had made pretty with cardboard waves and a fuzzy blue blanket). And no, we did not do the 5k, we only pulled her a mile. 



Everyone had a wonderful time, though we were all really tired at church the next morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! We love to hear from you, by email or commenting. So please drop us a note!