Friday, March 13, 2015

Quinn's Un-Birthday Lemon Meringue Pie

This post is expertly written by Quinn!

   Hello again, I (Quinn) have temporarily taken over the blog for a short amount of time to tell you about one of my favorite things: Lemon Meringue Pie.

 Growing up, whenever my birthday would come around I always requested the same desert at my parties: Confetti Cake. After all, what's not to like about confetti cake? It was by far my favorite thing to temporarily light on fire and then quickly imbibe. 

But then one fateful day I discovered something shocking . . . There was a dessert better than even the coveted confetti cake! 

Imagine my shock and excitement at this realization. Of course I was ruined from then on and nothing would satisfy me on my birthday except the newly discovered concentrated heaven in a pan. (More commonly known as Lemon Meringue Pie.)

   Being young and unaware of the ways a kitchen worked, I did not at that time realize what a task it was for mother to concoct the long anticipated delicacy I so desired. But this in no way hampered my enjoyment of the lemony glory topped with voluminous amounts of fluffier than clouds, whipped meringue.

   However, one year my life was changed forever! I was given the sacred and time honored task of grating the lemons. I thought this was all well and good at the time for I did not understand what this meant. I was soon to learn, for a plan was brewing, one that none of us were aware of. Not even those putting it into motion. For as the years went by, I slowly took over the making of the pies, until one year it was my responsibility.

Fast forward to this last year on my birthday.  My loving wife and brother in law Henry helped me make that which I desired. But that was back in January. As I ate my last piece of birthday pie I knew a new tradition needed to be born. That of the Un-Birthday pie! 

   I couldn't just live with only one pie a year, no! I needed it at least twice! My opportunity arose only two months after my amazing thought. Emily's extended family is very large here in Juneau. Because of this, they have what they call 'family birthday parties'. A party where the last two or three months of birthdays in the family are celebrated all at once. Now that I was an official member of the Cummins family I was going to have my indoctrination as one of those with a birthday. 



   And this of course meant one thing and one thing only. My waiting had ended, the three hundred and sixty four days of waiting were finished early. I was going to the promised land and I was the first in line! Emily and I took it upon ourselves to do the crafting of the blessed pies. It took us a good three hours but it was worth the wait and when it came time for the party all were amazed by that which we had created. 

  So for those of you who are reading this entry I have put into the blogging universe and are curious of just why I find this pie to be as glorious as I have stated, below you will find the recipe allowing you to experience it for yourself. But be forewarned, as soon as the first forkful passes between your lips, there will be no turning back. 




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quinn's Un-Birthday Lemon Meringue Pie
     Taken from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook; Makes 2 Pies

For pie filling:
2 prepared and baked pie crust shells
6 eggs
3 cups of sugar
6 tablespoons flour
6 tablespoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons butter
3 to 4 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peal
2/3 cup lemon juice
---------------------------------------
For meringue:
6 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
12 tablespoons sugar

To start, separate the egg yolks from the whites and set the whites aside for use in the meringue. For pie filling, in a medium sized saucepan combine sugar, flour, cornstarch and a pinch of salt. Slowly stir in 1 1/2 cups water. Cook and stir mixture over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, then reduce heat. Cook and stir for two minutes more and remove from heat. Slightly beat egg yolks with a fork, once beaten, carefully stir in about two cups of the hot filing mixture to the yolks. Add yolk mixture to the hot filing in the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and cook and stir for two minutes more. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter, lemon peal and lemon juice. Keep mixture warm until meringue is ready. 
For meringue, allow the extra egg whites from above stand at room temperature for thirty minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed about one minute or until soft peaks form. Slowly add in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating at a high speed about four minutes more or until meringue forms stiff, glassy peaks. Immediately pour pie filling into prepared pie shells (making sure both pies have the same amount of filling). Spread meringue over the top of the filing, making sure to carefully spread it to the edges of the pie crust to seal in the filing. Bake at 350F for fifteen minutes. Cool on a wire rack for one hour, chilling for three to six hours before serving. 


1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Your pies look deliciously gorgeous!!! I am going to have to quit reading this blog. We are all going to gain so much weight just trying your recipes. Now we have two on the list. Can't wait. Happy belated birthday, Quinn.:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! We love to hear from you, by email or commenting. So please drop us a note!